Our client, an independent, award-winning provider of fund, corporate and private wealth services to institutional and private clients, is looking for an Assistant Manager. You will be responsible for producing financial statements, NAV Valuations and management accounts for an allocated portfolio of clients within the Fund Accounting team in accordance with the most relevant accounting standards and client driven requirements. You will provide support to the Team Manager in: managing the team resources (has direct reports); allocating tasks, reviewing payments as an authorised ‘’A’’ signatory and monitoring client service levels for reporting purposes.
- Manage, monitor and supervise allocated resources (Direct reports) within the team to ensure the financial statements, management accounts and other financial related information are produced within the set deadlines (regulatory & other) and agreed service delivery levels.
- Allocate tasks and resources within the team and support the Manager to manage; coach and performance manage staff members to ensure that the team is functioning as a cohesive unit and achieving all the team deadlines.
- Review and monitor works performed by other staff members to ensure constructive coaching and feedback can be provided. Assist team members, provide training to new members of staff when required and promote knowledge sharing within the team to ensure the team works as a cohesive unit.
- Schedule and organise training of the team on accounting issues and new updates to accounting standards to ensure the quality levels within the team is maintained and no errors are repeated or made going forward.
- Support any appointed 3rd party income tax consultants with financial info. Ensure timely submission and zero tolerance for missed deadlines.
- Liaise with the client where appropriate to discuss financial statements/reports, resolve any issues or discuss fees.
- Billing – monitor recoverability of time spent on each task undertaken, tailoring the approach to a specific job where possible to ensure minimal write off of time and maintaining divisional KPI’s. Liaison/discussion with Client Director as to time spent (incl reasons therefore) and possible margin improvement going forward. Where applicable approve fee notes produced by assistant accounts officers. Prepare fee quotes for onward sign off by Manager.
- Monitoring of service levels in accordance with SLA’s and KPI’s & preparation of monthly reporting and other admin team functions.
- Actively and continually manage, identify and report high risk areas and gaps within the allocated Clients processes to ensure the identification and escalation of risks.
- To project manage the client audit process according to an agreed timetable to ensure all parties are delivering as agreed and the manager is kept informed of any obstacles and/or delays.
- Continually build on service excellence and promote strong client relationships.
- Quickly and diligently address client queries and questions ensuring resolution thereof. Ensure no queries or issues result in an error, breach (late filing/missing a regulatory deadline) or client dissatisfaction.
- Establish relationships with new clients (for all new client mandates obtained) and maintain if not enhance the level of service. Build relationship and report with colleagues in the SA office and other jurisdictions and contribute to the overall cohesiveness of the Fund Admin business unit.
- Schedule pre and post audit meetings to discuss audit planning, comments and recommendations as well as any post audit adjustments to be made to valuations to ensure the audit process is completed as per the timetable.
- Actively participate in ensuring all processes and procedures are properly documented and adhered to within the allocated team to ensure no account errors occur and the team has latency in place.
- Manage and investigate errors, complete the required error reporting process and implement the required remedial action in order to ensure the error is not repeated.
- Participate actively in projects, specifically risk reduction and efficiency gain projects relevant to the related fund admin teams to ensure the successful implement and completion of the specific Fund Admin project actions and timelines.
- To successfully migrate new clients onto the company’s platform as part of any new mandates obtained and ensure fully operational. Onboard all new business in a timeous and effective way.
- Be able to react positively to feedback and thus propose improvements to accounting process and client matters if required.
- An ability to take responsibility, prioritise, use initiative, find solutions, display assertiveness and decisiveness.
- A flexible approach to work, an ability to organise self and others and enjoy a busy and challenging working environment.
Essential Role Requirements:
Core skills at Assistant Manager level
- Demonstrate consolidated role-specific technical knowledge sufficient for the Assistant Manager level
- Manage and prioritise portfolio of complex work independently, requiring minimal technical guidance
- Identify and engage (with Manager on occasion) with new business opportunities and increased efficiencies
- Confident covering line manager responsibilities in their absence, including managing team and delegating tasks
- Involved in certain areas of the Project management of new take-ons and client migrations from start to finish (this includes working with various Project streams and departments)
- Offer ongoing support to line manager with team goals
- Continually meets expectations re. goals and supports departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Developing mentoring and coaching skills with less experienced colleagues
- Written and verbal communication is clear and concise and demonstrates considerable understanding of client structure / departmental context
- Build professional, mature working relationship with clients/ intermediaries. Manage expectations and focus on relationship building
- Sound awareness of risk factors and processes connected with new/ existing work and offers solutions
- Increased accountability with regards to decision making e.g. signatory on correspondence
- Demonstrate commercial awareness with regard to time and time recording and efficiencies on jobs
- Exposure / experience to checking and supervising the work of others
- Ability to produce work accurately, on time and sometimes under pressure
- Good technical knowledge of jurisdictional accounting standards as well as IFRS
- Attention to detail and pro-active nature
- Enjoy working in a team
- Good knowledge of Word and Excel
- Strong systems aptitude
- Strong communicator – both written and verbal
- Able to manage own time and projects
- Display entrepreneurial insight and skills in culture creation
- Mature, credible and comfortable in dealing with a cross section of clientele and staff
- Ability to mentor and coach
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Attention to detail
Qualifications and industry experience
- Suitable accounting qualification a pre-requisite (e.g. BComm / BAcc / BTech / B Bus Sci or equivalent degree).
- Member of a professional body such as CA (SA) / ACCA / CIMA a prerequisite.
- Good accounting and investment industry product knowledge.
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years PQE working experience within the finance/investment funds administration industry or related experience.