Our client, operating in the health space, has a vacancy for a Financial Accountant which will provide support to the Finance Manager by assuming responsibilities in areas such as internal/external audit coordination, account reconciliations and management of accounts payable/receivable.
In your role as the Financial Accountant you will:
- Keep track of the submission of various returns for all entities.
- Ensure compliance with tax legislation through timely compilation and submission of reports to tax authorities i.e. SARS, IRS, etc.
- Ensure that month-end and/or year-end journals such as depreciation, etc., are complete, accurate and processed on time
- Support program staff in ensuring that customer accounts receivable or payable agree with external records by periodically preparing fund accountability statements based on the accounting records and reconciling them with the customer’s records.
- Ensure that bank reconciliations are completed accurately and on time
- Ensure that intercompany invoices are drawn up as per deadlines and they are accurate
- Ensure that vendor records are complete and accurate and that payments are made on time.
- Ensure that all new finance staff are trained on the various finance processes and procedures.
- Conduct refresher training to existing staff on accounting procedures and system processes
- Compile training manuals for various system processes as well as ensure that the manuals are up-to-date-and provided to training participants.
- Ensure compliance with IFRS and other international reporting legislation
- Coach and mentor direct reports or any junior finance team members
- Assist in-country finance staff when required to ensure that all financial accounting related deliverables are met.
- Travel to country/field offices to conduct periodic finance reviews, provide support as well as conduct training as may be required.
- Work closely with program and other finance personnel to ensure that customer records are up-to-date.
- Execute specific financial accounting related deliverables to parts of the business on rotational/relief basis.
- Bachelors’ degree in finance/accounting or related field
- Completed 3 years articles at a reputable audit firm
- Chartered Accountant qualification i.e. CA(SA), CPA, ACCA, CIMA, etc.
- Additional post graduate degree in finance/accounting related field
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in a similar role in a medium to large matrixed environment
- Experience in multi-currency, multi-company, and multi-jurisdictional accounting
- Sound knowledge of US Government as well as other donor rules and regulations
- Demonstrable experience coordinating internal or external audits
- Experience in conducting training/capacity building for finance as well as non-finance staff
- Ability to work collaboratively with others within the larger finance organization and take appropriate action when required
- Experience in managing accounting processes from beginning to end
- Ability to communicate effectively regarding finance processes to non-finance staff
- Demonstrable ability to meet deadlines and go the extra mile to achieve set deadlines
- In-depth knowledge of accounting theory as well as best practices in accounting coupled with ability to give constructive input into financial accounting policies and procedures
- Excellent computer skills and exposure to accounting packages
- Sound understanding of the role of finance team as a support and service department
- Ability to communicate core values to the finance team
- The ability to communicate directly, persuasively and effectively with others in business
- The ability to prioritize and plan a challenging workload and to meet tight reporting deadlines
- Ability to work systematically while juggling conflicting priorities
- The appetite to work across all facets of financial accounting and develop/enhance skills
- Collaborative nature of working across different teams
- High levels of ethics and morale judgement
- Be solution focused and service oriented
- Ability to build rapport and credibility with peers, superiors and other stakeholders
- Attention to detail
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership