Our client, a stem cell donor centre, is looking for a PR and Communications Manager, to be based in either Randburg JHB or Cape Town. The purpose of the role will be to maintain, enhance and analyse the company’s presence across social media and other digital channels. To recruit potential blood stem cell donors, inform the public of the need for monetary donations and encourage people to volunteer, through the organisation’s social media channels.
- Plan and implement effective Communications, PR and Marketing strategies and implementation plans that are aligned with the organisation’s overall strategies.
- Ensure that campaigns are within budget.
- Co-ordination of new and existing stakeholders who are relevant to the CC department.
- Excellent media and influencer relations and contacts in order to develop and guide media strategies. Manage media enquiries and arrange interviews, source quotes and commentary on behalf of the organization.
- Push media placements and pitch stories; create on-brand marketing communication and correspondence.
- Source and manage speaking opportunities for the organisation.
- Respond to time sensitive communications deliverables working swiftly to support the management team.
- Support social media and inform the content strategy.
- Create positive coverage for the organisation across national and international media platforms.
- Finding and managing relevant advertising opportunities that are in line with the organisations objectives.
Manage partner agencies
- Ensure that weekly status meetings are held and managed with creative and media agencies. Brief and manage campaigns and projects and ensure deadlines are met.
- Ensure messaging aligns with the organisation’s strategies.
Report, track and measure
- Analyze campaign results and report back on the success/nuances of campaigns.
- Develop insights and optimise work for best results.
- Monthly reporting of PR and campaign results.
- Experience in writing press releases/blogs; proofing and writing copy for social media and other campaign content. Engage with and assist other departments with shaping content and assisting where necessary.
- Engage with DKMS Africa and global staff, and stakeholders to develop storytelling and content.
- Write clear briefs to external service providers and manage the development of campaign content.
Passionate about integrated communications
- Work closely with the corporate communications director to develop and drive integrated campaigns across digital, ATL and through PR.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management and organisational skills. A strategic thinker who’s able to apply themselves.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Qualified to degree level (ideally communications and PR related) and at least 7 years of demonstrable experience in PR, communications media monitoring, and project management, in a similar role.
- Experience in the non-profit sector would be advantageous.
- Excellent written communications skills, with demonstrable experience in writing social media content and reviewing content drafted by others.
- Sensitivity and empathy in liaising with patients and their families, for example, when, drafting social media posts and answering post questions/private messages.
- Ability to plan well, work to deadlines, prioritise tasks, cope with pressure at times and work on own initiative.
- A proactive, flexible, and friendly manner with an ability to build strong, mutually respectful relationships with internal colleagues and external partners, as well as good team-working skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite is essential and experience in Photoshop an advantage.
- Solutions-focused – able to find quick and sensible solutions to problems.
- Someone with their finger on the pulse in terms of what is happening in terms of trends, events, competitors, influencers, and more.
- Multicultural, curious, and passionate about South Africans and culture in general.
- Willingness to travel on occasion.
- Able to identify media angles and media opportunities.
- Creative with the ability to come up with tactical and strategic ideas.