Our client based in Cape Town CBD is looking to recruit a Senior Financial Accountant
The Accountant will be responsible for assisting and supporting the work of the Chief
Financial & Operations Officer (CFOO)
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provision of effective and efficient financial and administrative support to the CFOO
- Perform the full financial accounting function, including procurement processes and variance analysis
- Facilitate and prepare the budget and forecast processes for the organisation,
Drawing figures and information from regional offices and ensuring it aligns with
- Understanding contracts and assessing whether transactions are aligned to contract terms
- Maintain internal control system and ensure compliance with NJ policies
- Assist in development of institutional and donor proposal budgets & external audits
- Preparation of local and international payments
- Timely submission of monthly and annual financial reports;
- Maintenance of fixed asset register, depreciation and assessment of useful life
- Ensuring compliance with tax and accounting laws and regulations
- Prepare and administer payroll and tax remittance
- Ensure strict adherence and compliance to financial control systems, policies and procedures
- Monitor budget implementation and expenditures and communicate outcomes to
CFOO for decision making
- Ensure efficient payments and disbursements according to approved policy and procedures
- Perform bank and vendor reconciliations
- Work with the CFOO and other members of the finance and operations team to ensure smooth running of the finance and operations of the organisation.
- Examine and analyse financial information and present findings to CFOO
- Perform month- and year end procedures, and prepare reports
- Manage Cash flow
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of an integrated financial and reporting system that takes into account consolidation of regional offices’ financial statements
- Supervise and lead a team where necessary
- Develop and conduct internal audit procedures and systems
- Prepare consolidated financial statements, reconciliations and audit file for external audits
- Liaise with external auditors
- Preparation of monthly management accounts, as well as management and Board reports
- Maintaining all necessary records including invoices, expenses, payments and transactions
- Develop key performance indicators, dashboards and reporting tools for performance and budget tracking
- Ensuring high quality reporting and robust processes are in place to support the team
- Provide monthly up-to-date and accurate funder and project reports to the CFOO and project coordinators
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Commerce degree (BCom)
- Qualified accountant with at least five years’ post articles experience in financial accounting and reporting
- Full financial accounting function, including procurement experience and a strong working knowledge of Pastel or similar accounting software
- Excellent knowledge of IFRS for SMMEs and strong working knowledge in local
- Experience in multi-donor financial accounting and management or equivalent experience
- Experience in the non-profit environment will be an added advantage
- Membership of Professional Accounting Body will be an added advantage.
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Proactive approach to work and good self-motivation
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to deal with people from different cultures
- Ability to deal authoritatively with a range of partners and contractors
- A strategic thinker with strong leadership capabilities, highly motivated, committed and goal orientated
- Ability to work flexibly and to adapt to changing demands and circumstances
The employee should demonstrate competence in all of the following, and strive for competence in areas where required:
- Behave Ethically:
Understand ethical behaviour and financial business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organisation.
- Build Relationships:
Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the Finance & Operations team and the organisation.
- Communicate Effectively:
Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate language and effective communication tools.
- Focus on Staff/Funder Needs:
Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external users to meet or exceed their expectations within the organisational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork:
Work cooperatively and effectively with others in the Finance & Operations team to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness.
- Make Decisions:
Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organisation.
Set priorities, develop a work plan, monitor progress towards goals, and track activities.
- Solve Problems:
Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.